A Brief History…
The parish of St. George’s, Eburne was established in 1908. The Reverend Mark Jukes, missionary for the South Vancouver area, was assigned the task of organizing the new parish. The first services were conducted in a hall over the WH Walsh Company grocery store, which also served as the Municipal Hall for the municipality of Point Grey. Mr. Jukes was Priest-in-Charge until 1910. From September, 1910 to February 1, 1911, the Reverend HG Battershill became the first incumbent of St. Augustine’s. In April, 1911 a contract for the building on the present site was let. The new church was dedicated on August, 1911 by the Right Rev. AU DePencier, Bishop of New Westminster. In 1916 the name of the area was changed from Eburne to Marpole.
After World War I, the parish did not grow as rapidly as previous years, but with a great deal of volunteer labour, a parish hall was built and cleared of debt by 1926.
In 1928, with the arrival of the Rev. AJ Taylor, a rectory was purchased. Depression hardship forced the congregation to sell this rectory in 1935 and purchase a less expensive property. This second rectory was sold in 1954 in favour of a more modern building, which in turn was sold in 1986.
In 1947 it was decided that St. Augustine’s Church would not move in response to rapid growth in the northern portion of the parish, but rather a new parish would be formed in that area. Instead, vestries were added to the northeast corner of the church, an oil heating system was installed in 1956, and the electric organ dates from 1976. Beginning in the late 1950s the character of the neighbourhood surrounding the church changed to include many apartment buildings. Between 1958 and 1965, St. Augustine’s acquired property adjacent to the Church to prepare for expansion. The Parish was incorporated in 1962. The new Parish Centre was built and dedicated in 1981.
Throughout this growth, it is apparent that the members of St. Augustine’s have consistently supported their church and the neighbourhood of Marpole not only financially, but also by giving freely of their time, physical labour, and special talents. This support continues today.